There is a multitude of different techniques to use veneers. Here are a few of them:
- A gluing method without specific tools.
- gluing with neoprene gel.
- Simple method for gluing veneer to non-porous support.
- Also works on a porous support such as MDF, Plywood ...
- Use of a smooth spatula (not notched).
- Use wooden sticks to place the veneer sheet.
- Very important double marouflage for lasting gluing.
Very specials thanks to GET HANDS DIRTY.
- Only on a porous support such as MDF, plywood, solid wood ...
- Cutting the veneer with a veneer saw: an excellent method for the straights lines.
- The assembly of the sheets with a bead of glue: a more elaborate and optimal method.
- A method with clamps with the addition of a veneer tab on the pressing bar.
Very specials thanks to ROCKLER WOODWORKING
Among veneer assembly methods, also called splicing methods, here is a method with gummed paper tape.
- It is more economical than masking tape.
- It is not plasticized and therefore resists better under the heat of the iron.
- It must be moistened to activate its glue; this makes it swell. Therefore, under the heat of the iron, it tightens the veneers together.
It is a method that works well. However, it is necessary to reserve this bonding with raw veneer either for small surfaces or when the other bonding solutions are not applicable.
- Glue used: Quick-drying PVA / PVB glue (white wood glue).
- Iron heat: Cotton without steam.
- Use of white wood glue (PVA / PVB).
- gluing with a smooth spatula on the support and non-woven backing.
- Iron in cotton position without steam.
- Extend the veneer to adjust it after gluing.
This is a method "with the means at hand."
The best remaining is the use of a vacuum pump and a bag designed for it.
However, Samuel Mamias made a series of videos to make the bag and even the pump: HERE
- It is a very economical solution.
- The glue used for the video is PVA glue.
- Works well with 0.6mm thick veneer.
- The sensitive point is the quality of the non-return valve of the bag. The first price bags offer poor-quality valves.
It is not a question of revolutionizing the Boule method but rather a decorative approach that can be realized with children.